- Served as a chemist leader at American Environmental Testing Laboratory for 2 years.
- Provided assistance on recycling initiatives that saved clients hundreds of thousands of dollars annually while minimizing waste and environmental pollutants.
- Received National Science Foundation (NSF) research grant.
- Studied methods for using palladium to catalyze the synthesis of carbon-carbon molecules for pharmaceutical applications.
- Prepared and analyze purgeable total petroleum hydrocarbons and volatile organic compounds for water, soils to determine chemical or physical properties, composition, structure using gas chromatography/mass spectra, spectroscopy or spectrophotometry techniques.
- Extensive experience in the operation, calibration and maintenance of laboratory equipment and analytical instrumentation within the environmental laboratory.
- Led a team of researchers, including 2 chemists and 3 lab technicians to complete projects in the areas of environmental and hazardous waste sampling.
- Conferred with scientists and engineers to conduct the analysis of research projects, interpret test results.
- Prepare standards, test solutions, compounds, or reagents for laboratory personnel to conduct tests and cleanup to remove interferences.
- Conducts laboratory analyses: finished product testing, stability testing, raw material testing, cleaning verification testing and manufacturing in-process testing.
- Buffer/solution & standard preparation Operating analytical instruments: HPLC, UV-Vis, FT-IR, GC, dissolution tester, melting point apparatus, viscometer, Karl Fischer titration, pH meter and analytical balance.
- Detects abnormalities during performances of tests and reviews.
- Perform lab methods transfer and participate in method validation/verification studies.
- Provides general laboratory support such as routine instrument cleaning/preventative, maintenance/calibration, sample receiving, chemical inventory, document filing and housekeeping.
- Performs assigned work in a timely and safe manner conforming to regulatory, company and compendiaI requirements within pharmaceutical manufacturing setting.
- Formulation preparation of silicones in support of manufacturing line Evaluation of new incoming materials Analytical chemical testing of Calhoun products, in particular, the light adjustable lens including the following methods, GC, SEC (GPC), UV/Vis, FTIR, viscosity testing and refractive index determination Instrument maintenance GC, SEC (GPC), UV/Vis, FTIR Record keeping, including GMP level notebook keeping and GMP laboratory record keeping Verification of other laboratory personnel's data and results.
- Analyzed organic & inorganic compounds to determine chemical / physical properties using gas chromatography and spectroscopy Performed calculations related to testing to convert raw data into final sample results and evaluated results to ensure that they met reliability standards.
- Prepared planning documents, data quality assessment, data interpretation and reporting.
- Induced changes in composition of substances by introducing heat, light, energy and chemical catalysts for quantitative or qualitative analysis.
- Initiated assays, moisture determination, wet chemistry and titrations.
- Maintained laboratory instruments to ensure proper working order and troubleshoot malfunctions when needed.
Analytical Chemist Cover Letter
Analytical Chemists study the chemical compounds of substances and analyze, interpret and report on data used in fields such as pharmaceuticals development, toxicology, and forensic analysis and can work in both public and private sector organizations. Analytical Chemists rely on multiple techniques like electrochromatography and spectroscopy in examining the nature of substances. Common responsibilities of Analytical Chemists include accurately recording data, carrying out research using multiple techniques, tools and software for analysis, maintaining health and safety standards, developing innovative analytical methods and liaising with research staff and clients.
Based on an analysis of job postings, the following are in-demand skills for Analytical Chemists:
- Degree in chemistry
- Sound knowledge of analytical techniques
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Superior written, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Above average proficiencies in IT skills
Use the sample Analytical Chemist cover letter below as a guide for drafting your own.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Analytical Chemist Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Tinley,
When I read your posting for an Analytical Chemist at Hugo Pharmaceuticals, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. With six years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, I have the hands-on experience and educational background to excel in this role.
My work experience includes contributing to a team carrying out research and analysis in which I used advanced software and the latest techniques. In this capacity, I presented results, wrote research reports and created analytical methods as required.
Here are some of my key career accomplishments:
- Helped secure a $3 million grant for lab expansion
- Directed a team of two chemists during off-site testing
- Developed new standard operating procedures for key analysis
You will find my sound theoretical knowledge and hands-on practical experience a valuable asset at Hugo Pharmaceuticals. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you in further detail how I can be of benefit your company. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.